Recipe & content provided by Robin Smith, Instagram @ms.robinchhristinesmith
I was inspired to create a keto diabetic-friendly version of keto possum pie, a childhood favorite because I was gifted a storybook called "Arkansas Pie" by Kat Robinson for my birthday.
The book has traditional recipes for pie but really it is a charming tale of the history of different restaurants in Arkansas and the pies they specialize in. I highly recommend the book!
This pie has a pecan shortbread crust with a tangy cream cheese layer and a rich chocolate pudding layer all topped by homemade whipped cream! Yum!
Keto Possum Pie
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Powdered BochaSweet
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups keto flour (Robin prefers King Arthur brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 3/4 cup of BochaSweet Granular
- 1 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened 100% chocolate - chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Whipped Cream Topping Layer
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sifted Powdered BochaSweet
- For Decorating the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using a paddle attachment with either hand or stand mixer, beat softened butter with 1/2 cup of Powdered BochaSweet until completely mixed. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and beat again.
- Gradually add flour in about 3 batches, beat well after each addition. The dough will be crumbly.
- Add the chopped pecans.
- Press into the bottom and sides of an 8" or 9" inch pie plate.
- Put into 350F oven for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from oven and cover the top with foil strips of pie crust shield to prevent the rim from over-browning. Gently press down the bottom and sides to flatten a bit at this point.
- Bake another 5 minutes for a total of 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Beat softened cream cheese with sifted Powdered BochaSweet until completely lump-free and smooth.
- Add 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream and beat well.
- Spread into cooled crust.
- Pour 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream into a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin on top of cream (DO NOT DUMP GELATIN IN). Whisk until smooth.
- In a medium heavy saucepan, whisk granulated BochaSweet, cocoa, salt, and 1 3/4 cups of heavy whipping cream together.
- Turn on the burner and cook over medium heat whisking constantly until the mixture is silky smooth, the sweetener has melted and pudding starts to simmer and bubble on the edges. Don't rush this step. It takes about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the now thick gelatin/cream mixture, Add the finely chopped chocolate and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Let cool slightly (about 15 minutes) and pour on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Press cling wrap on top of the pudding layer and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
Whipped Cream Topping Layer
- Beat heavy whipping cream with BochaSweet Powdered until soft peaks form.
- Spread on cooled pudding layer.
- Top with chopped pecans if desired.