Orange Ginger Pumpkin Loaf recipe provided by Amanda Hokanson
This orange ginger pumpkin loaf is a gluten and sugar free take on traditional pumpkin loaf. While most recipes use high glycemic flours or sweeteners to make a sweet tasting loaf with a moist texture, this recipe uses no gluten and is sweetened with BochaSweet.
How is this pumpkin loaf made without high glycemic flours? Simple. This recipe gets a makeover with low carb, paleo, and keto-friendly flours like coconut and almond flour which also packs a protein boost from whey protein powder.
With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, this orange ginger pumpkin loaf makes for the perfect addition to your holiday menu.
Orange Ginger Pumpkin Loaf
Makes one 4.25x8" loaf but this recipe lends itself well to doubling! Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour loaf pan.
Tip: plain or complementary flavored protein powder is a great substitute for flour if you are strictly gluten free or avoiding any hint of additional carbs.
- 2/3 cup BochaSweet
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (increase to 1/2 if using unsalted butter)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon oat fiber
- 1 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/3 cup unflavored whey protein powder (81% whey concentrate)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- Zest from one large orange (reserve juice for glaze)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 teaspoons BochaSweet
- 2 fl. oz. fresh, strained orange juice
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- Melt butter and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together Bocha Sweet, eggs, and pumpkin in a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer)
- Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined, then add butter and finish mixing thoroughly.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes. This allows the coconut flour to hydrate and I think it helps the whole thing get a better rise.
- Quickly and thoroughly mix in the apple cider vinegar. Immediately transfer to baking pan and place in oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then lightly cover with foil (my pans are dark and things get REALLY brown).
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack--still covered in foil--for about 15 minutes.
- Tip out of pans and allow to cool further while you make the glaze.
- Whisk together everything over medium heat until smooth and fragrant.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour over loaf ensuring that all the crevices are completely filled.
- Lick spatula.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 180
- Total Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Total Carbs: 20g
- Dietary Fiber: 15g
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- Sodium: 872mg
- Potassium: 220mg
- Sugars: 14g
- Protein: 13g
- Vitamin A: 92%
- Vitamin C: 6%
- Calcium: 9%
- Iron: 26%