I was worried about ice crystals due to the water content in the pumpkin puree. So I adjusted the other liquids slightly. The small amount of gelatin in this keto pumpkin ice cream recipe really does make a big difference if you plan to freeze it and eat it later like I did. Of course, if you plan to eat this right out of the ice cream maker as a soft serve low carb pumpkin ice cream– you can certainly omit it!
Keto Friendly Low Carb Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream
This keto friendly low-carb pumpkin ice cream is what dreams of fall are made of. Mix this up and store it in your freezer to get the hard-ice-cream consistency. Or, eat it right out of the ice cream maker for a soft-serve treat! I dare ya to make it just once!! Course: Dessert Cuisine: Keto INGREDIENTS:
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
- 3/4 cup BochaSweet
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon gelatin
- 5 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan without the heat on, combine: Eggs, heavy whipping cream, unsweetened almond milk, pumpkin, BochaSweet, salt, gelatin, pumpkin pie spice. Whisk mixture together until completely combined.
- Prepare a colander/strainer over a deep bowl so it’s ready for the end of the cooking process.
- Turn the heat on low and stir constantly to slowly bring the temperature of the mixture up to 150 degrees. Use a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature of the mixture. The goal is to heat this mixture slowly so as not to have the eggs cook too quickly. You’ll know if you’ve cooked the mixture too fast if you end up with chunks in the mixture. This step should take 10-20 minutes and does take some patience. The results are well worth it.
- Once the mixture has reached 150 degrees, pour into colander over the deep bowl and strain any chunks out of the mixture.
- Place a lid or plastic wrap over the bowl and refrigerate mixture 6-24 hours before freezing. Unless you have one of the fancy ice cream makers that will cool the mixture down for you!
- Once you’re ready to freeze the ice cream, pull out the mixture and add 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract. Then, use your ice cream makers directions to freeze the ice cream.
- My ice cream maker makes a soft-serve like ice cream. I’ll pour it into a container and freeze it for 6-12 hours to get a nice hard ice cream consistency.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (Per Serving):
- Calories: 189
- Total Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 136mg
- Sodium: 270mg
- Potassium: 137mg
- Total Carbs: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Vitamin A: 124.3%
- Vitamin C: 2.3%
- Calcium: 7.7%
- Iron: 5.6%