Recipe and content provided by Tara Wright, Whole Body Living
Baking these keto cinnamon swirls is like creating love itself out of thin air. They will fill your entire home with the soft, warm, cozy scent of cinnamon rolls. Peeking inside your oven, you’ll find these have risen beautifully and you’ll anxiously await the moment you can take that first gooey, warm bite. All the while feeling a little naughty because how could these possibly be keto friendly.
I find these are best enjoyed with a creamy cup of espresso. There's just something about a sweet treat paired with coffee that is so satisfying. Don't you think?
The name for these cinnamon swirls came from my husband. When he saw them he thought they looked a lot like those junk food one's you can buy at the store, you know the ones I speak of. You'll notice I left the icing off a few for photos so you could see the beautiful swirl in the pictures.
Keto Cinnamon Swirls
Start to Finish:
1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 cup whole milk mozzarella
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 egg
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup BochaSweet
- 1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1/4 cup BochaSweet
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup BochaSweet
Making The Dough
Prepping For The Roll
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave mozzarella and cream cheese for 2 ½ minutes on power level 5, or until gently melted. Stir together to melt everything without overheating the mixture.
- In a separate small mixing bowl blend together 2 eggs and gelatin until foamy and gelatin is blended in. Start on low speed and then increase blender speed to help combine the egg and gelatin. This will take about a minute and should result in a thick, eggy mixture.
- Add the egg-gelatin mixture into the cheese mixture and combine with your blender on low speed.
- Next add BochaSweet, almond flour, xanthan gum and baking powder and blend until completely combined.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 15-30 minutes. This will make the dough easier to roll out.
Rolling The Dough
- In the meantime, we have a few things to do to prepare for what comes next. First, preheat your oven to 325 degrees (300 convection)
- Now we will make the cinnamon-sugar mixture that will go in the center of the rolls. In a small bowl, combine the BochaSweet and cinnamon and mix together. Soften your butter so it is easily spreadable and ready to use. Prepare your cupcake pan by greasing it or filling it with cupcake liners. I prefer parchment paper cupcake liners.
- Next, prepare a place to roll out the crust and gather your toppings. Gather together: parchment paper, rolling pin, and kitchen towel.
Rolling Up The Dough
- Place a kitchen towel on your counter and then place on a piece of parchment paper on top of the towel. The towel simply holds the parchment paper still so you can roll out your dough without the parchment paper sliding around.
- Take the cooled dough in your hands and shape it into a circle. Place it on top of the parchment paper. Clean your hands if necessary and then place the other sheet of parchment paper on top.
- Roll out the dough to to ⅛-¼ inch thick, shaping it into an oblong as best you can.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
- Smear the softened butter across the dough and then sprinkle on your cinnamon sugar mixture.
Easy Keto Glaze
- Now it’s time to roll the dough up. This dough is a little delicate and requires some patience. If the dough is very squishy and still warm, pop it in the fridge for ten minutes so it’s easier to roll up. Roll carefully, squeezing the dough together if it breaks. You can oil your hands if the dough is sticking to your fingers.
- Next, decide how many rolls you want to have in total. These can be sliced as thin as 1 inch thick and give you a nice risen roll. This is where I’m always struggling to make even sizes no matter how I cut it. So, do the best you can!
- Cut and carefully transfer the dough to your cupcake tin. I like to place the smallest rolls in the center of the pan and the fattest rolls in the corners to help even up the baking.
- Bake at 325 degrees (300 convection) for 25-30 minutes. When done, the middles will look slightly undercooked. Remove the pan from the oven and set it on a cooling rack. The middles will continue baking slightly out of the oven.
- Wait ten minutes before icing or serving to allow them to cool a bit and the cheese to set-up. In the meantime you can mix together an easy keto glaze.
- Stir together heavy cream, melted butter and BochaSweet until the sugar is dissolved. Drizzle over the top of your cinnamon swirls as desired. For a thicker frosting, double the ingredients and whip with your blender, immersion blender or mixer into a thick whipped cream frosting.
Servings: 12 rolls
NUTRITION FACTS (PER ROLL):
- Calories: 195
- Carbs: 4g
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- Sodium: 179mg
- Potassium: 77mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 1g
- Vitamin A: 391 IU
- Calcium: 151mg
- Iron: 1mg